So about a month ago when I ordered the Aurora Shawl Cardigan Pattern for my Dyed Cotton I was all hyped about knitting it in worsted weight instead of bulky. But I couldn't get started right then because I was in the middle of knitting up Christmas gifts, trying to finish off my Tree of Life Afghan and stuff like that.
But once Christmas was over and the afghan was finished there was no good reason not to begin. Except I found plenty of reasons -- or rather smaller projects to focus on. I kept telling myself that I'd just get this one more thing knit up and then I'd get started on my cardigan. It was yesterday, when I cast on for my "February" sweater for the 4th trimester group (it's still January) that I realized I was procrastinating big time. The reason? Knitting Math Anxiety.
Math Anxiety has plagued me ever since I sat for a grade 10 math exam and couldn't, for the life of me, understand a single question. As it turned out I'd been given a grade 12 exam in error and I later had to write the grade 10 exam which I just barely passed. I wasn't that great with numbers even before that incident, but my math anxiety definitely escalated from that point on.
Anyway, with a little help from some folks on Ravelry, I finally wrapped my head around this project. To start with, I had to determine the gauge of my yarn. I'm so used to others determining this for me that it took awhile for me to realize that I could actually determine my preference here by my choice of needle.
I knit a couple of swatches on different sized needles (in the suggested range) and settled on 4.5 m (U.S. #7). Then I measured the swatch and figured out that I had 5 stitches and 6 rows to the inch (so far, so good). Now here's where the really smart people do some MATH and figure out how to convert that to the pattern gauge of 3 stitches 4 rows to the inch.I, on the other hand, cheated just a little and used this free on-line knitting conversion page. I hope if I ever have to take a knitting math exam they let you use one of these babies. It has been my life saver. So, 200 stitches on 4.5mm circulars and all the stalling is over. Let's hope and pray that this thing worked it out right!