I may not have finished this top by the end of the Summer Games as planned, but I have, at long last, completed my silk version of the Cowl Shell. It was definitely worthy of my persistence because this silk feels so luxurious against my skin! It might be the softest thing I've ever worn.
This pattern was written for drapey yarns and I do love how much softer the cowl neckline is in this version. I'm tempted to knit up a whack of these in other colors, but then I remember that it took me about a month to finish this one and there are a lot of other things I'd still like to knit.
Here's all the specific details we knitters love to know!
Yarn: BC Garn Jaipur Silk Fino purchased in Iceland several years ago.
Needles: US #1 (2.25 mm)
Pattern: Cowl Shell by Myrna Batten
This English pattern is not written for laceweight yarn so I started out trying to follow the modification notes of a Polish knitter on Ravelry but apparently Google Translator is not a knitter or not good at Polish. Either way, it came up with something translated like this: "subtracted in 19 eyes, 33.49 and 71 in a row would add 87, 99,107,119 row". Maybe you could figure that out, but I was at a total loss.
So I appealed to the helpful folks on Ravelry's "Excuse Me?" group and a few people there were able to translate some of the more obscure phrases like, "subtracted in 19 eyes = k2tog in 19 places ". I NEVER would have got that on my own. It still wasn't "quite right" but I somehow figured things out from there.
Cast on 248 stitches(124 front/back)
Follow pattern as written until you get to the decrease rounds. (decrease on rows 19, 33, 49,79)
At Increase rounds (increase on rows 87, 99, 107,119)
To set up cowl shaping, pm after 17 stitches
I knit an extra .5" in length before beginning the armhole (not sure if it was necessary but I was afraid of it not stretching enough to fit over my tummy). I bound off 7 stitches (instead of 6) at start of armhole.
I added 1/2" to the length of the armhole because I was worried it would be too tight as written. For me this is a comfortable fit.
I knit 17 stitches for shoulder shaping.
On the front, I knit 72 stitches before beginning short rows for cowl shaping. (this was a total guess but it looks okay)
Other than that, I just followed the pattern as written and it all came out great in the wash.
This pattern relies on the garment growing after washing so it was a bit nervewracking wondering how it would all turn out when the finished object fit very snuggly. But silk does grow with washing so you just have to trust the process.