Florence and I are taking a little time apart. It all started when she pretended I was finished knitting all her stripes -- like 7 stripes were actually 9 and I bought the story hook, line and sinker. Because at a quick glance with my 50+ year old eyes those numbers can look the same, right?
And then she didn't 'fess up until I'd done the border increase row and frogged it about 5 times before realizing I'd never have the right number of stitches because I was 2 stripes and 80 stitches short. Florence knew this all along but revealed nothing.
But I forgave her and I knit the two extra stripes adding the missing 80 stitches as we went along. And we were all good with the stitch count. I counted it 3 times. And then I started the border and stitches went missing, and then there were too many stitches, and then there were just the right number but then not really and I tried and tried and tried to make it work but Florence was having none of it. So I left her behind in SF and I flew to Boston knitting the first sleeve of this.
You might have noticed that the pattern calls for an Aran weight yarn. I'm using Kollage Riveting Sportweight. I was considering this other pattern by Amy Herzog which calls for sport weight yarn. Then I saw Acorn Trails and decided I liked it better. And during some sudden absence of all brain activity I just "assumed" that it too was written for sportweight yarn. Because that's what I was looking for. So, I purchased the pattern, I printed it off, and only then did I notice that the pattern called for Aran yarn. I was dumbfounded.
The good news is that I did the math and by knitting the largest size in this pattern it will give me the right gauge for the size I need and that makes it pretty easy to adapt the pattern to the yarn. Although I still had to do the math for the shrinkage factor you get with denim yarn.
So far, the stitch count is perfect. No frogging has taken place. Proof positive that despite all evidence to the contrary, Florence is the problem not me!